Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Bobcat and Owl

It started out an uneventful walk.  We noticed this blazing red tree at the end of one of the alleys we pass everyday.  After I dropped the girls off, and was walking back through the ravine, I noticed a medium sized dog walking ahead of me on the path.  But something wasn't quite right.  As I rounded the corner behind it, I was looking to see if it was with a person and was turning on my camera.  In an instant, I realized it was actually a cat - but much too big to be a house cat.  By the time I had my camera up to capture it, it had disappeared into the bushes.  At the same moment, an owl came swooping down across the path, and into a tree in the area where this bobcat was.  I didn't see the bobcat again, but I got a shot of the owl, who was very intent on watching it.

I've seen my fair share of wild animals - but I have never seen a wild cat of any kind, and I certainly wasn't expecting to see one so close to home.  Perhaps we shouldn't be so quick to blame the coyotes for all the missing house cats!

No comments:

Post a Comment